Thursday, February 7, 2008

Spinning in Circles Now, for Future Fun

A friend pointed me to xkcd, "a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language" and I found a comic/post that typified some of my overachiever-ness:

What I like even more about the comic, aside from the fact that it talks about angular momentum (a subject close to my mechanical engineering heart), is that she's spinning in circles so that she can ultimately have more time with her stick-figure friend; but by doing so, she's missing out on time they could be spending together at that moment. She's squandering their present happiness just to squeeze out a few more seconds of "future fun"...she must be an overachiever.

While I'm not trying to slow down the rotation of the earth, I know I'm guilty of missing the fun in front of me because I'm thinking of all the ways I could improve it, even just marginally. In all my planning and doing, I end up wasting the time I do have instead being present. In fussing about how much more amazing it could be, that I miss the opportunity to enjoy that moment for what it is.
  • Do you ever miss out on the present because you're so wrapped up in improving it or planning for the future?

No comments: