I'm currently reading The 4-Hour Workweek, by Timothy Ferriss and am really enjoying it. I signed up for his blog and find it an interesting mix of topics. Last week's post was depression (based on Heath Ledger's suicide) and he offered 3 tips for preventing "depression."
Here are his suggestions from his post (which is definitely worth the quick read):
"1. Depression is just one phase of a natural biorhythm and thus both transient and needed.
2. How you label determines how you feel.
3. Gratitude training can be used pre- or mid-depressive symptoms to moderate the extremes and speed the transition."
The key points that I took away from it were:
- Don't be quick to call it depression or see it as a permanent state. These feelings come and go and are part of life.
- The best thing to do to elevate your mood is to go out to eat with friends!
- Use gratitude as a way to recenter your perspective on what's good in your life.